Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Questions about a Haynes Lead II studio Amp

.pdf   Hynes_Lead_II_Studio_100206.pdf (Size: 793.61 KB / Downloads: 12)

Going through some schematics I downloaded from the old Ax84 site, a few years ago. I ran across this one. Named the "Haynes Lead II studio" dated 2006. Shows a great deal of similarities to the 4-4-0 and the October power amps. But then the Pre amp is using 3 more stages. Studying this schematic I noticed the second, third, and forth stages do not have the " normal" plate  resister values. Even though they are 12AU7 valves. So, is there anybody here to have ever built this amp, and are there any sound clips? What amp is this a (emulation of) copy or clone? Then why the 12AU7 and the lower plate resister values for these stages. Super clean or what???
(01-19-2020, 04:14 PM)mcneb Wrote: Going through some schematics I downloaded from the old Ax84 site, a few years ago. I ran across this one. Named the "Haynes Lead II studio" dated 2006. Shows a great deal of similarities to the 4-4-0 and the October power amps. But then the Pre amp is using 3 more stages. Studying this schematic I noticed the second, third, and forth stages do not have the " normal" plate  resister values. Even though they are 12AU7 valves. So, is there anybody here to have ever built this amp, and are there any sound clips? What amp is this a (emulation of) copy or clone? Then why the 12AU7 and the lower plate resister values for these stages. Super clean or what???

John and I corresponded on his design a bit. His intention was to combine many stages each making small contributions to the distortion characteristics. Hence the cascade of low-gain 12AU7 stages. To my knowledge this was a ground up design, not patterned after any existing circuit.

Stph
So, Mr. Keller, sounds like you know some about this design? You mention that the stages "make contributions to the distortion characteristics". Would this be considered a metal flavored type of amp or would it have some southern Almond Bro. / Lynyrd Skynyrd growl? This design is unlike a Trainwreck, Dumble, or a Soldano. I have seen no other topography like it. So It does not compute, 4, 12Au7's low gain stages into a 12Ax7 stage. Just looks like it would be to clean. The 12Au7's are more HIFi like I would think. So please tell me what you think it sounds like. I got to know. Thank You.
Looking at the schematic, this was almost certainly designed for preamp distortion.

First, second, & third stage very similar to the HO / SEL with less inter-stage attenuation. Forth stage looks to be roughly center biased so just more amplification after the tone shaping stages. The fifth stage is where the magic is going to happen - this will be the first stage to OD and it looks like it is setup a little hot and FULLY bypassed. If you really needed more than this you could just bootstrap the CF.
Sound clip was with the schematic.

https://ax84.com/archive/ax84.com/static...LeadII.mp3
Thank You for the sound file link. Not at all what I would think it sounded like.