Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tone and OT
Hi folks,

I built a Firefly a while back, but I'm unhappy with the overall tone. It could really use a bit more top end. How would one go about adding some more sparkle to the sound?

Also, when I put it back together recently (had it partially disassembled for mods that never happened), I mistakenly reversed the brown and red primary wires coming from the OT (color blind). The result was an amp that had a real heavy sag after I hit a chord, but the distortion was brutal - in a good way. What did I do? Can it be safely replicated?

Thanks,
Jonathan
Quote:On 08/11/2015 @ 16:48, VanHanlon wrote :
Hi folks,
:
: I built a Firefly a while back, but I'm unhappy with the overall tone. It could really use a bit more top end. How would one go about adding some more sparkle to the sound?

You may try pentode output tubes if there is any suitable for that amp, but the result may be much more than a little bit more top end and then you may have a different problem.

Kursad
Quote:On 08/11/2015 @ 16:48, VanHanlon wrote : Also, when I put it back together recently (had it partially disassembled for mods that never happened), I mistakenly reversed the brown and red primary wires coming from the OT (color blind). The result was an amp that had a real heavy sag after I hit a chord, but the distortion was brutal - in a good way. What did I do? Can it be safely replicated?
Basically you applied B+ to one side of the push-pull transformer primary winding and tapped the anode of one of the tubes off the center-tap. This puts a single-ended stage in parallel with a ground-grid stage with partially common anode load. Output power and headroom will be reduced. You'll have some standing d.c. current on the primary winding, which may cause the OT to heat up more than expected. Provided the OT doesn't get too hot to touch after hard playing, then you won't damage anything by doing this.

Stph
Try removing the cap that is on the OT primaries first, if you haven't done so already.
I put a switch on the bias resistor for the OT so I could go back and forth between 440ohms (12AU7) and 220ohms (ECC99). I found out I preferred the ECC99. JJ is the only current-production manufacturer of ECC99's that I know of. Nice tube, I like it.
Nowadays any musician who make different type of satisfaction tone for society. Many other musicians have best a-writer.com review about these tones and musics to insider people to do best with their life.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful post.google